Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween vs All Saints' Day

All Saints' Day
In Poland November 1st is known as All Saints' Day (Dzień Wszystkich Świętych). Overall, it is a sad and full of reflection day honoring those who passed away... Many people travel across the country to visit cemeteries where their family members are buried. They light the candles on the graves and pray for the souls that are being missed.
Halloween
Halloween (All Hallows' Eve/All Saints' Eve) came to Poland in late 90's and is mainly celebrated in night clubs, bars and at home parties. Many people dress up for fun. It is not popular to go trick-or-treat'ing though.
At my home, the idea of Halloween party would be considered as "a little too much fun" just a night before All Saints' Day, however my parents didn't stop me, if I wanted to attend one of the Halloween dances... Personally, I think that both events can be celebrated separately.
Own source: My first carved pumpkin - the one on the left

Things that I like about Halloween:
- carving pumpkins,
- kids and adults wearing nice (read: friendly) costumes,
- trick or treat'ing (excuse to have some candy! why not?).

Things that I don't like about Halloween:
- gross costumes and decorations,
- creepy music,
- food such as eye balls, fingers, teeth, etc.
- haunted houses.
Mercy! Anything gross does not speak to me!  :))

No comments:

Post a Comment