It's very popular in Polish homes, however the name "Breton beans" might be confusing to many people.
After some research, I couldn't find the right explanation of this name either.
To me it's "Fasolka po bretońsku" - period :))
It might remind you of a chili soup, however beans are the main ingredient, and there is sausage and a little bit of bacon in it.
You can soak beans in water overnight or make it more simple and use canned beans.
I prefer option number two :)
Also, my husband is no-beans-eater, so it's not a main meal in our house.
Good dish for a rainy day though.
2 cans (15 oz. each) red beans (white, red or both)
1/2 can (12 oz.) tomato paste
sausage (Polska kielbasa) :)
few slices of bacon (optional)
2-3 tsp paprika
marjoram (lots of it!) - I used probably 3-4 Tbsp
salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan combine beans and 2-3 cups of water.
- In a meantime, cut sausage and bacon into small pieces and fry them for a couple minutes.
- Add tomato paste, fried sausage, bacon and spices to boiling beans. Stir well and let cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Feel free to add more water and seasoning until you receive desired consistency.
- Add marjoram at the end of cooking.
- Serve with slice of bread.