Monday, August 15, 2011

Rice with Apples - easy summer dish



Rice with apples - ryż z jabłkami

I wouldn't say that rice with apples is a typical Polish dish, however it brings memories from my childhood. I have always loved aroma of cinnamon and taste of vanilla...  I remember lots of summer afternoons, when this dish was a simple and great treat for everyone.
Rice with apples is a perfect dish (main meal or dessert), if you want to fix something quick and light.
I had some apples left, so I decided to use them and make this easy, summer dish. It put smile on my hubby's face ;o).

Recipe:
1 bag of rice (white or whole grain),
4-5 medium apples (your favorite),
2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tbsp vanilla sugar,
*1-2 tbsp sugar
(I used brown sugar, but it is optional - depends on how sweet are the apples),
cinnamon (decide how much you like; I eyeballed it),
whipped cream

  1. Cook rice according to the instructions on the box. It doesn't have to be "boil in a bag" rice.
  2. Wash and peel apples. Grate them and mix with sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
  3. Cook apples in a skillet for about 8-10 minutes frequently stirring.
  4. Spread rice in a baking dish and top it with fried apples.
  5. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
  6. Let it cool for few minutes. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve warm or cold.
*Instead of whipped cream, you can use sour cream mixed with vanilla sugar.
See "Naleśniki-Crepes" recipe.*

TIP: For some extra flavor mix rice with a little bit of milk or coconut milk before baking.

Smacznego!



No comments:

Post a Comment