Kopytka - "little hooves" are potato dumplings that are very popular in Polish cuisine.
They are easy to make, satisfy hunger and can be served with different toppings.
My favorite toppings are: butter with breadcrumbs, beef sauce and mushroom sauce.
5 medium/large potatoes, cooked and mashed,
2 cups all-purpose flour,
1 egg, beaten,
1 tsp salt
- Peel and cook potatoes. Mash them well making sure that there are no lumps.
- Combine all ingredients and knead a dough.
- Sprinkle working surface with flour and roll the dough into long, 1 inch thick pieces.
- Cut diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Bring water to a boil and cook kopytka until they float.
- Serve with favorite toppings.
- butter and breadcrumbs (1:1 proportions)
- chopped, fried bacon
- beef sauce
- mushroom sauce
1 container mushrooms (I use baby portobello),
2-3 Tbsp butter,
chopped parsley leaves,
salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium pan heat butter and add mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until mushrooms get soft.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp of sour cream and stir quickly.
- Stir in chopped parsley leaves.
- Serve over kopytka.