Thursday, April 12, 2012

My first "Mazurek"

My first "Mazurek" turned out more brown that I anticipated...
My oven was sweating after all the baking that I was doing that night :)

With Easter behind us, cake crumbs on a plate and a few extra pounds - time for reflection! :)
This year, I wanted to bake something traditional for Easter, so I chose "Mazurek" - typical Easter cake.  
Crust for "Mazurek" is thin and usually topped with orange/apricot/raspberry jam, nut/almond/coconut paste or poppy seed.
"Mazurki" (plural form) are known for rich decorations. You can go overboard while decorating: dried fruit, nuts, almonds, candy, coconut flakes... The more the better!

I love poppy seed, so I chose to make "Mazurek makowy".
I decorated it with almonds, coconut flakes and "Almond Joy" candy pieces.
Not the most successful baking in my life, but I didn't get discouraged!

"Mazurek makowy" w/shortbread crust and poppy seed filling:
Crust:
150 g (1 cup) flour,
150 g butter,
150 g powdered sugar,
1 egg yolk,
pinch of salt
Topping:
1 can (354 g) of poppy seed,
decoration of your choice
  1. Mix all ingredients and quickly form a ball. Refrigerate for 30 min.
  2. Roll out the dough and place on a baking pan. Poke with a fork in few places.
  3. Bake for 15 min at 400º F.
  4. Spread poppy seed filling over the crust. Lower the oven temperature to 375º F and bake for another 25 min.
  5. Cool and decorate.
Smacznego!

No comments:

Post a Comment