And today is a day. Fat Thursday. I made them in the morning and enjoyed with my coffee.
2 cups all purpose flour,
4 egg yolks,
3 Tbsp sour cream,
1 Tbsp sugar,
1 Tbsp vodka or white vinegar,
1 Tbsp water,
1 quart of vegetable oil for frying (can be canola, sunflower or coconut oil as well),
- Mix flour, egg yolks, sour cream, sugar, vodka/vinegar and water. Knead a dough. It will be sticky and you might need to add a little more flour (tablespoon or so) during step 2. It should be elastic.
- Roll out the dough on floured surface making sure that it's very thin - "paper thin". (Every time I do this, I think that it's thin enough and it's not. My recommendation: do your best).
- Cut into strips (about 4 in. long) and make a slit in each one (approx. 1 in. long).
- Take one end of the strip and put it through a slit making a bow tie.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Carefully throw 4-5 faworki (note: faworki is already plural, so not "faworkis" 😊) into the oil. Fry until golden on both sides (It doesn't take long, so don't leave the pot with hot oil on the stove).
- Drain on paper towels and top liberally with powdered sugar.