The crackers soften after few hours and they give a nice taste to this no bake cake.
And when there is food, there are memories! Anytime I think about this dessert, I think of my high school friend Ania, who shared with me the recipe for Rafaello :)).
It's been years since I made one, and I couldn't find the recipe that she gave me.
So I started searching for it online....
2 small vanilla puddings - Jell-o Cook & Serve (not the instant kind),
4 cups milk (for pudding),
1 stick of softened butter (optional),
2 cups coconut flakes plus 1 cup for topping,
2-3 rolls of salty crackers (I used Club and Ritz crackers )
- In a small saucepan combine milk and pudding mix. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and set aside. Let it cool
- Mix softened butter until fluffy. Add 1 Tbsp of cooled pudding at a time and keep mixing.
- Stir in 2 cups of coconut flakes. Place in the fridge for 5-10 min.
- Place crackers on the bottom of 9x13 in (23x33 cm) pan, spread some pudding filling and repeat the layers two more times (3 layers of crackers and 3 layers of pudding filling). Top with coconut flakes. If you wish, brown coconut flakes on a frying pan before topping the cake.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for 3-5 hours.
- Invite your friend for some cake and coffee!