Buraczki - beets, are very popular in Polish cuisine.
I love them now, but it hasn't always been this way...
The meal was consisting of a pork chop with bread crust, mashed potatoes and beets.
It's a very popular meal combo, so if you happen to visit Poland, big chance is that you are going to try it.
When talking about beets, I can't forget to mention delicious beet soup - borscht /"barszcz". It's served with mini dumplings called "uszka", and it's definitely one of my favorites!
***Beets are rich in iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B1, folic acid and more.
|Pork chops with caramelized onions,|
mashed potatoes with skins and beets
4-8 medium size beets,
1-2 Tbsp butter,
sugar, salt, pepper to taste,
*lemon juice to taste (optional)
* 1 Tbsp (or more) horseradish
* 1 Tbsp flour,
* 2 Tbsp sour cream.
- Boil beets in skins until soft (30-45 min). Peel off the skins and grate beets finely.
- In a frying pan melt butter. Add beets and fry for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Season to taste with sugar, salt and pepper. Add lemon juice if desired.
Add horseradish instead of lemon juice. You can also add flour and sour cream.
These two are my favorite versions of fried beets. Hope you will like them too!
Interesting fact about beets? ;o)
- Long time ago, women used beets juice to color their cheeks in order to look healthy
(red cheeks = healthy woman).